The Biocenter Oulu Virus Core laboratory is part of the BF Viral Gene Transfer and Cell Therapy (VGTCT) infrastructure network and technology platform services. The BCO Virus Core laboratory is a fully equipped Biosafety Level 2 cell-culture laboratory whose mission is 1) to provide training and facilities for researchers who want to use viral vectors in their research, and 2) to provide virus vector production as a service for research groups.
- Technical training, assistance, scientific consultation and service-based production of viral vectors from constructs
- Easy entry and a cost-effective jump-start to learn how to use viral vectors for gene expression and gene-silencing studies
All the necessary reagents, consumables and molecular tools are made available for retroviral (MuLV), lentiviral and adenoviral gene transfer approaches to transduce cell lines from different species. We can also help in designing custom-made viral RNA interference (RNAi) gene-silencing constructs and CRISPR-based gene KO constructs and in planning genetic manipulation of mouse embryonic stem cells and/or generation of lenti-transgenic mouse models.
BCO Virus Core laboratory facilities
The Virus Core laboratory is accessible to trained users at any time. The laboratory contains two laminar flow hoods which can be reserved by users. One out of three cell culture incubators is reserved for experiments with primary cell cultures and tissues while the other two are for tested cell lines.
- Cells can be observed and imaged using a high-quality Zeiss inverted fluorescence microscope equipped with a sensitive camera. The laboratory also hosts a standard stereomicroscope.
- Purification and concentration of viral vectors can be carried out by ultracentrifugation or FPLC chromatography.
- An Ultra-low-temperature freezer is provided for users to allow storage of viral preparations at the BCO Virus Core laboratory.
- Virus vector datasheet: Download form (doc)
- BCO Virus Core service order form for Retro/Lentiviruses
- BCO Virus Core service order form for Adenoviruses
- BCO Virus Core ultrasentrifuge (NOTE! Billing only for non-virus work)
Aki Manninen, Ph.D., Coordinator of the Virus Core laboratory
Tel. +358-(0)294 486081
E-mail: aki.manninen (at) oulu.fi
Tel. +358-(0)294 486065
E-mail: jaana.traskelin (at) oulu.fi
Aapistie 5A, FIN-90220 Oulu, Finland
Last updated: 9.1.2017